Fisherman’s Wharf Float Home Village

The eastern end of Fisherman’s Wharf is populated largely by float homes.

On taking ownership of the wharf in 2002, GVHA set aside 33 berths especially for floating residences. The float homes are moored on fingers A, B and C. All float home spots are currently occupied.

The owners live in their homes, steps from the commercial plaza and popular tourist location. There are no absentee owners and float homes are not rented.

All float homes have access to potable water and 30 amp power. GVHA provides sewage hookups to prevent the discharge of black water. This is in keeping with federal law and helps preserve the surrounding marine environment.

Float home owners live in a centre of lively activity. The area is a crossroads for harbour ferries, float planes, kayaks, fishing and pleasure vessels. Owners share their neighbourhood with harbour seals, herons, eagles, geese, cormorants, gulls, otters and raccoons.

Fisherman’s Wharf is just around the point from most of the major summer events in Victoria Harbour. The Canada Day fireworks display, the strains of Symphony Splash, the passage of sailing vessels in the Swiftsure Yacht Race and many other events can be experienced up close from the waterfront.

Shopping, transportation and amenities are all within easy reach.

Buying A Float Home

GVHA is accepting applications from buyers for float homes at Fisherman’s Wharf for the current license term. Buying a float home does not include ownership of or rights to the water lot.

When a buyer and float home are approved, the new owner is issued a License of Use to moor their float home at Fisherman’s Wharf. The current license term is April 1, 2015 to March 31, 2018, under a 10 year Memorandum of Agreement in effect until December 12, 2021.

Moorage fees are $1.17 / ft2 from April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017. There is also a license fee of $103 per month. This fee includes a parking pass for the Fisherman’s Wharf parking lot. Hydro and water are charged separately and is subject to tax. Float home owners do pay property tax as their homes are considered part of improvements to Fisherman’s Wharf.

GVHA does not provide tenure to float home owners.

Renovating or altering the outside of your float home requires a Development Permit approval from the City of Victoria. The City also requires written permission from GVHA.

Running A Business From Your Float Home 

Live/work berths are set aside at the head of fingers A, B and C. If you own a float home and would like to run a business from it, you can submit a business proposal to GVHA. Approval also requires submitting all municipal, provincial and federal permits and approvals needed to run a business in Victoria. Additional charges apply to the section of the float home used for commerce.

What Is A Float Home?

The province of BC defines a float home as a structure built on a flotation system and used as a residence. It is not intended for navigation or use as a navigable craft. Float homes are held to standards set by the provincial and federal governments.

Comments are closed.